Wednesday, June 18

The First Six

Today, the first six earthbags were layed. Six earthbags, signed by the six people working on the building: John, Jessa, Phil, Adam, Jeff and myself.

Adam and I started our day finishing an arch for a doorway. This took a very long time- things didn't square up very well and we had to disassemble. I discovered that screws are infinitely better for problem items than nails. At least screws are easy to take out. (During this time, Phil, Jessa and Jeff were working at the top of the hill- not sure on what...)

After lunch, Adam and I helped Jessa with filling earthbags. We didn't want to lay any yet- I think we wanted to wait until we had all the forms built. John and Phil worked on making a giant arch for a large entry-way. We shoveled dirt off the piles made during the excavation onto a homemade screen, which was at an angle so big rocks would fall into a bucket while small rocks and clay/dirt would fall down onto a pile, which was later scooped into bags and set off to the side for tomorrow.

We got a visit from the codes officials- they had to come inspect the foundation. Duane (the codes official who gave us our permit) did not come, but sent two other guys who didn't seem to have much background on earthbag. I think they had been told the general idea, but they asked lots of questions and were interested in the earthbag bible book that we've been using. They said things were good to go "for now"- I think these codes people are just curious enough to let us do this.

My back was a little sore today. I'm trying to be careful to lift with my legs and not my back, but I have such terrible posture anyways... Even sitting can make my back hurt. I know I will have issues with this in the future- trying to be conscious of it now. Tomorrow, I will be sure to take my tylonel/pain reliever with me.

Jeff is nice- not quite what I was expecting. I think I am not used to males under the age of 30 working in the sustainability realm. He's very nice though and seems to know what he's talking about. After work, I took him and Adam out for pizza at Papaleno's and, later, he showed me pictures of an 11-dome house that he just helped construct in California. Seems like a smart, easygoing guy.

I think tomorrow will be lots of shoveling and bagging dirt. Tomorrow and the next couple of weeks.

I really need to find my camera battery charger.

No comments: